Glossary of Terms
This glossary contains definitions used by the Project Change Frame® and other methodologies supported by Lindsay McKenna Limited.
A number of definitions are taken from the Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK®) from the Project Managment Institute. These are denoted by having (PMI) at the end of the definition..
- Work Authorisation
- Process of sanctioning all project work. (PMI)
- Work Authorisation/Release
- In cases where work is to be performed in segments due to technical or funding limitations, work authorisation/release authorises specified work to be performed during a specified period. (PMI)
- Work Breakdown structure (WBS)
- A tool which provides a logical format for organising all the work required to deliver a project. Visually the WBS looks like a organisation chart. The first layer being the Project Goal, the next the milestones, third layer activities and fourth level tasks.
- A deliverable-orientated grouping of project elements which organises and defines the total scope of the project. (PMI)
- Work Flow
- The order in which work should be carried out.
- The amount of work which needs to take place to complete the project.
- Work Package
- A deliverable at the lowest level of the work breakdown structure. A work package may be divided into activities.